Minneapolis Construction Bulletin: March 5, 2021
PERIODIC WEEKDAY EXTENDED HOURS: LRT Tunnel Concrete Activities Scheduled for March 11, 2021
Location of first concrete pour and truck routing
Construction of the Kenilworth tunnel continues through 2021. Next week a new milestone will be reached as crews begin pouring a concrete seal for the base of the Kenilworth LRT tunnel. The tunnel is excavated in 100-foot cells. As these cells are excavated, concrete is poured into them to form a waterproof seal and base for the tunnel that is up to 10 feet thick. The concrete for the base slab must be poured continuously. To accomplish this about 150 truckloads of concrete are needed for each cell. This process is estimated to take about 14 hours.
The first pour is scheduled for Thursday, March 11, 2021. Work hours for a single pour day are expected to be 7:00 AM to 9:00 PM. Workers are allowed to arrive onsite prior to 7:00 AM. This activity is dependent on weather conditions. These extended workdays are anticipated to occur once every 3-6 weeks until further notice. The exact frequency will vary depending on the progress of excavation activities.
The City of Minneapolis has granted weekday extended hours specifically to perform the tunnel tremie seal work, Please check the Southwest LRT website for updates to this schedule. Other excavation, concrete and tunnel construction activities will occur during normal construction hours.
Impacts to Surrounding Community
- Noise: Continues noise from truck traffic and machinery including:
- An average of 10 trucks per hour will arrive and depart the pour site. Expect trucks and other equipment in the rail corridor from Minneapolis Linden Yards to the West Lake Street Station area. Trucks will access the corridor from Abbott Avenue to the south and through the rail corridor from the Minneapolis Linden Yards near downtown to the north.
- Back-up alarms on trucks should be expected as they approach the pour site between the Midtown Greenway and Cedar Lake Parkway.
- Localized noise at the pour site from generators that power the concrete pump and water management pumps.
- Additional heavy equipment and vehicle traffic may be present throughout the rail corridor as supplies and equipment are staged for this work.
- Lighting: Construction lighting will be used during morning and evening working hours, especially after about 4:00 PM.
These impacts are in addition to the tunnel excavation and sheeting work that will continue in adjacent tunnel segments throughout normal construction working hours of 7:00 AM – 6:00 PM.
For immediate construction concerns please call the construction hotline at 612-373-3933