Construction Update: July 9, 2021
Construction Hotline: 612-373-3933
Weekly Construction Photo: Franklin Operations & Maintenance Facility Expansion in Minneapolis
To accommodate the new light rail vehicles (LRVs) needed for the Southwest Project, expansion of the existing Franklin Operations and Maintenance Facility is underway. Four LRVs are pictured next to new tracks on the west side of the facility. New Overhead Catenary System (the poles and wires) were also constructed.
Eden Prairie Highlights
- On Prairie Center Drive, from Technology Drive to Singletree Lane expect southbound and northbound lane closures into late July, as crews advance work on the Prairie Center Drive LRT bridge.
- The I-494 off-ramp to Flying Cloud Drive is closed for the 2021 construction season. The I-494 on-ramp from Flying Cloud Drive is expected to remain closed through the summer. See Eden Prairie detour information.
- Traffic is reduced to one lane in both directions on Flying Cloud Drive between Town Center Place to Valley View Road through the summer. Intersections from Flying Cloud Drive to Technology Drive and Viking Drive will remain open, subject to intermittent, short-term lane reductions. Left turns in and out of Technology Drive at the Flying Cloud Drive intersection are not allowed through the summer.
- The on-ramp to eastbound Highway 212 from Shady Oak Road has reopened. The westbound Highway 212 off-ramp to Shady Oak Road will remain closed into the fall.
- Crews are advancing the southern portion of the Highway 62 LRT tunnel and area retaining walls. Anticipate noise and vibration associated with installation of piling and sheeting between Highway 62 and southbound Highway 212.
- The westbound lane on Green Circle Drive near the intersection with Bren Road West is closed through the 2021 construction season to complete work in the LRT corridor.
- Smetana Road from Feltl Road to Nolan Drive remains closed until later this summer. A bypass is in place east of the intersection of Smetana and Feltl roads to accommodate local traffic. See Minnetonka detour maps here.
- Crews continue to work on the Minnetonka-Hopkins LRT bridge. Expect noise from piling as bridge piers are constructed.
- Westbound Excelsior Boulevard is closed at Jackson Avenue. Traffic will remain detoured while crews advance the construction of the cantilevered LRT bridge over Excelsior Boulevard. See detour map.
- Beginning the morning of Tuesday, July 13 through the morning of Wednesday, July 14 turning movements between southbound Jackson Avenue North to eastbound Excelsior Boulevard and northbound Milwaukee Street to westbound Excelsior Boulevard will be restricted as crews advance freight signal installation. The Blake Road detour will be adjusted accordingly during this period. See detour map.
- The construction of the regional trail underpass at Blake Road North is underway. Blake Road traffic has been reduced to one northbound lane between Excelsior Boulevard and 2nd Street N.E. while southbound Blake Road traffic is detoured at 2nd Street N.E. See detour map.
St. Louis Park Highlights
- Expect lane closures through summer along Louisiana Avenue between West Lake Street and Oxford Street while crews advance bridge construction. Piling operations are expected.
- Expect lane closures on Highway 100 from Monday, July 12 – Thursday, July 15 while crews work on the LRT bridge over the highway. Work is scheduled each night between 9:00 PM and 6:00 AM; access ramps to and from Highway 7 will remain closed during these activities.
- Private development work is occurring next to Southwest LRT construction along Abbott and Chowen Avenues. The private developer is piling in the area through the summer. They are also conducting utility work along Abbott and Chowen Avenues and have closed the roadway. The closure will then transition to accommodate Southwest LRT construction activities. Trail access remains open through this area.
- Construction activities such as excavation and concrete work for the West Lake Street Station are ongoing.
- Excavation activities continue for the Kenilworth LRT Tunnel, progressing in the direction of Cedar Lake Parkway. In addition to soil removal, these activities include power washing and water management. Expect to hear generators for water management activities.
- Various concrete activities continue at the Kenilworth LRT Tunnel. Expect concrete truck traffic to and from the site. Loud noise can result from some concrete application techniques.
- Expect concrete work at the Cedar Lake Channel as crews pour the LRT bridge abutments.
- The Southwest LRT Project is preparing to use segments of Sunset Boulevard, Depot Street, France Avenue and Cedar Lake Parkway in Minneapolis as an additional haul route for the construction of the Kenilworth LRT Tunnel. We anticipate that crews will begin to use this haul route later in July.
- Pile driving near Van White Boulevard for the new Luce Line Trail bridge is paused until the old bridge is demolished to make way for construction of the new bridge. Demolition is anticipated in late July or August.
- Construction activities to advance the LRT bridge at Glenwood Avenue continues. High-vibration sheeting installation and pile-driving will be ongoing in this area for most of the summer. Glenwood Avenue between Lyndale Avenue North and North 12thStreet remains closed. See detour map.
- Crews continue to build a corridor protection wall between Glenwood Avenue and I-94, including work on Saturdays.
- Various trails within the Opus area are closed as crews work to advance many project elements.
- The South Cedar Lake LRT Trail in Hopkins and St. Louis Park will remain closed until 2022.
- Temporary trails near Chowen Avenue and West Lake Street remain in place. For your safety and the safety of our crews, please follow signage for the temporary trail and stay clear of the work zone.
- The Kenilworth Trail will remain closed until the completion of LRT tunnel construction. The date is yet to be determined.
- The North Cedar Lake Trail east of Dunwoody Boulevard will remain closed until 2022.
Trail Detours: Minnesota River Bluffs, South Cedar Lake Parkway, Kenilworth, Cedar Lake Trail
Eden Prairie Sidewalk and Roadway Detours: Southwest Station, I-494 Ramps at Flying Cloud Drive, Upcoming Flying Cloud near West 70th
Minnetonka Roadway Detours: Opus area: Yellow Circle, Red Circle, Smetana Road
Hopkins Detours: Excelsior Blvd & Jackson Avenue
Minneapolis Roadway Detours: Glenwood Avenue, Royalston Avenue