Southwest LRT Construction Update: February 12 – February 25, 2021
Construction Hotline: 612-373-3933
2021 Virtual Construction Tours and Townhalls
Learn more about construction in your area by tuning into our video tours or by attending an upcoming virtual townhall. Eden Prairie and St. Louis Park virtual video tours are available and other corridor cities will be featured in future weeks. The videos provide an overview of 2020 construction accomplishments and what to expect in 2021. Project staff will also be available to answer questions and discuss the project at upcoming virtual townhall meetings. Each townhall will highlight different cities along the corridor:
- St. Louis Park Virtual Townhall, Tuesday, February 23 from 5:00 – 6:00 PM
- Hopkins Virtual Townhall, Wednesday, February 24 from 5:00 – 6:00 PM
- Eden Prairie Virtual Townhall, Monday, March 1 from 4:30 – 5:30 PM
- Minnetonka Virtual Townhall, Friday, March 5 from 3:00 – 4:00 PM
Missed the January 14, 2021 Minneapolis virtual townhall? A recording of the event is available.
Weekly Construction Photo: Kenilworth Tunnel Excavation in Minneapolis
To excavate deep into the tunnel cell, crews use equipment called a telledipper excavator (pictured). Crews are working to fully excavate the first tunnel cell in February. Crews were not able to work over the past week due to the extreme cold.
Eden Prairie Highlights
- The SouthWest station area remains a busy construction site with ongoing piling and concrete work.
- Work continues on the Prairie Center Drive LRT bridge as crews work on bridge walkways.
- Bridge beam work will continue in the coming weeks for the Shady Oak Road LRT bridge. Some of this work was delayed due to extreme cold weather. Beam placement will require intermittent closures to both Flying Cloud Drive and Shady Oak Road through February. See Eden Prairie detour maps here.
- Smetana Road from Feltl Road to Nolan Drive remains closed. A temporary bypass is in place west of the intersection of Smetana and Feltl Roads to accommodate local traffic. See Minnetonka detour maps here. Bridge work at Smetana/Feltl roadways is advancing with foundation and wall construction.
- Work in the Opus area continues with retaining wall work north of Bren Road West, near Smetana Road.
- Construction for the access road for the Minnetonka – Hopkins LRT bridge will be worked on periodically.
- Crews are wrapping up work for the winter on Excelsior Boulevard LRT bridge piers.
- Blake Road continues to have a single lane of traffic in each direction.
St. Louis Park Highlights
- Crews continue construction of retaining walls near Wooddale Avenue. Expect piling in the area.
- Crews are working on various elements of the Beltline Boulevard Regional Trail bridge. The bridge is mostly complete.
- Kenilworth tunnel sheeting: all sheeting to be done with the press-in-piler is now complete, which is a major milestone for the project. The last piler will be leaving the project area shortly.
- Kenilworth tunnel excavation: deep excavation is underway near Park Siding Park. Due to extreme cold weather the excavator did not work for many days over the past week. Over the next weeks expect trucks hauling materials and ongoing work in the area.
- Kenilworth tunnel base concrete work: the initial concrete pour to create a waterproof base slab is anticipated in the coming month but an exact date has not yet been determined as work is dependent on the weather. To pour the first concrete seal, crews will need extended work hours until 9:00 PM as this work must be completed in a single day.
- Construction activities to advance the LRT bridge at Glenwood Avenue will continue throughout the winter and includes pile driving. Glenwood Avenue between Lyndale Avenue North and North 12th Street remains closed.
- The South Cedar Lake LRT Trail in Hopkins and St. Louis Park will remain closed until 2022.
- The Kenilworth Trail will remain closed until the completion of LRT tunnel construction. The date is yet to be determined.
- The North Cedar Lake Trail east of Dunwoody Boulevard will remain closed until 2022.
Trail Detours: Minnesota River Bluffs, South Cedar Lake Parkway, Kenilworth, Cedar Lake Trail
Eden Prairie Sidewalk and Roadway Detours: Southwest Station
Minnetonka Roadway Detours: Opus area: Yellow Circle, Red Circle, Smetana Road
Minneapolis Roadway Detours: Glenwood Avenue, Royalston Avenue